It time again for another Craft Challenge! I posted a teaser photo of the Cuddly Cousins last time, and now it’s time to show those cute little teddy’s fate!
Click more below to read about the challenge, process, and final piece.
Click this link to hop over to Craftster and check out the contest entries.
This post does contain graphic images of teddy bear disassembly :)
I just love these monthly challenges! I can’t resist them.
I went to the Dollar Tree with no idea as to what I was going to make, but I figured I’d probably be sewing. i decided that i wasn’t just going to blow $10 on crap that I wouldn’t use after the challenge, though, so it made it a little more difficult. There is quite a variety of materials you can choose from there, but when it comes to fabric items, they’re all pretty sad quality. I lucked out when I found some decent quality fleece scarves, though. They were nice and big, and not the same thin stuff they use for the other scarves and for their baby blankets. They only came in white, though. I grabbed a couple of them and wandered around looking for something to accent them with. It was when I came across the Cuddly Cousins that I knew I had found my muse.
I’m a big fan of using faux fur over the real thing!
I purchased 7 bears and 3 fleece scarves. I got quite a few interesting looks riding home on the bus with a big pile of teddys all around me.
Warm and soft I knew they would be perfect for lining the hood and adding a little flair, but first I had to get the fur to a point where I could use it.
Don’t worry, I was very gentle. I used my scalpel (Xacto) to carefully remove the stitches down the back of the bear, removed his fluff (all saved to be used for other projects), and disassembled the pieces of his body. Finally, I sewed the odd pieces of fur into straight strips to make a solid fabric I could cut my pieces from.
Stitching up the fleece body of the coat wasn’t too difficult, it was just a basic bodice with some darts in the back. I had a little trouble getting the sleeves right. I wanted to get both sleeves from one scarf and because of that I had to make up some funky gussets for the underarms. I probably should have used a pattern for them, since I’m just terrible at sleeves, but they turned out alright I think. I fur lined the hood, added ties at the top of the front with cute little fur balls at the ends, lined the cuffs, and made two pockets for the front (they’re fur on the outside and lined inside with fleece scraps) and bear ears on the hood (I only pinned these on, so I can take them off if I want). Finally I added the only material that didn’t come from the dollar store, an old zipper I had on hand.
If I were to do things differently, I would have used four scarves and six bears instead, I had one bear left over at the end. I call him Lucky:
I’m not sure what I’ll do with the left over heads yet, but I’s sure it will be interesting. For now I use them to practice juggling!
/\ Super cozy hood fully lined with fur
/\ The ties at the front in a cute bow
/\ Front, hood up
/\Back, hood up
It’s nice and warm. These photos were taken on a pretty chilly morning, and I was quite comfortable!